Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should we purchase first?

Posted by BillC (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 03 at 12:33

What should we purchase first? The domain name or the Domain site? I guess this may sound stupid but IM a rank novice. Thanks Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should we purchase first?

It doesn't matter.

Often when you rent the site, they will take care of registering your domain name and setting up the name servers for you.

If you get the name first, you can still probably have the domain site set up the name servers for you.

Either way. I think site then name would be slightly easier but not worth worrying about.

o

You don't "buy" a site, you rent space somewhere for it. Even the domain name is merely leased ...

pair.com has excellent service, and will combine registration with setting up server space and emails.

o

Thanks for your replies. You guys are very kind. I don't move very fast but when I get started I'll let you know. The site will be used for Historic Photos of my home town, an IM an amateur wildlife Photographer. Posting these Photos is the only HTML that I know, Bill

Bird

o

I'd get the name first. The setup processes for many of the discout hosting services require you to already have the domain name you are going to use, so you wantot make sure that no one beast you to purchasing that name (or already has a lock on it). But it also simplifies thing to ahve picked your hosting provider, but just don't sign up.

1. Find DNS numbers / names for desired hosting provider
2. Register domain name & supply DNS info for hosting provider
3. Purchase hosting for your new doman name.

You can also go back and change the registrar's DNS info after signing up for hosting.

o

I agree, if you are not in a hurry to set up the site but have a name in mind, I would grab the domain name, they go quickly. It is cheap and you can sit on it for a bit while you decide what to do about the site.

o

I just went thru this and with the right advise it was very simple. I bought my domain name at DirectNic.com and built my website at Boomspeed.com. It was so simple to do the re-direct at no extra charge. Just besure and read all the fine print and ofcourse the TOS when you buy your domain. Some places expect you to use them for everything and tack on extra charges for each thing like the domain name, web space and if you do not use their space they will charge for the re-direct. I paid $15.00 (per year & no charge for re-direct) for the domain and $6.00 per month for my web space & storage. Not bad when I checked into some of the others. Good Luck with that :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here