Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone tell me about Bandwidth?

Posted by Jackie_OK (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 03 at 9:52

I have been selling things on eBay and decided to start using my space on my cox cable to store the pictures. I know I have 10MB of disk space and I know how to take care of that. I mean I can just delete the pictures I am through with, but here is the question, it says I have 300 MB of bandwidth each month. Now I know that means every time somebody looks at one of my pictures, it uses some of that, but is 300MB a lot? I mean about how many look ats would that be? Thanks, hope someone can answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone tell me about Bandwidth?

It's easy:

300MB is enough to send ONE 300MB file to ONE person. That's about 1/2 of a CDROM. Or one 1MB file to 300 viewers.

One MB is 1000KB ... you have 300,000 KB allowed each month before you hit extra charges. That's enough bandwidth to show one 30KB jpg to 10,000 people. (unless I slipped a decimal place)

As long as you take tightly focused pictures, crop and compress them well, keeping them in the <30KB range when they are done, you should be able to run the usual number of auctions without problems.

With a digital camera, taking pictures at 640x480 resolution (not the megapixels) is plenty for eBay.

Make sure you delete the pictures when you are done.

o
RE: Can someone tell me about Bandwidth?

Thank you very much. Finally I can understand it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here