Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Older VHS tapes

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 19:50

This forum apparently has relatively few regular readers, but maybe this will help someone. Back in the early days of home VCRs, tapes were expensive, easily $6.00 or more each. And wages were then considerably less also. I recorded most of the time at EP/SLP for those reasons. I kept many of the tapes and now am transferring some of them to DVD to minimize storage space. It seems that tapes recorded at EP/SLP on the really old machines may not play well at all on some newer VCRs. The tape may appear to be bad when it is not. Terrible picture quality. I found an old discussion of this on a forum archive. I have 4 different brands of VCR here and simply using a different VCR usually solves the problem. Not convenient to switch hookups, but necessary. So don't give up on an old tape, try a different player. Apparently no problem with tapes home recorded at SP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Older VHS tapes

Tracking differences and head wear. The tape runs slower at EP, much slower at SLP, than at SP, tracking accuracy is more crucial at the slower speeds.

o
RE: Older VHS tapes

My observation is that the VCR speeds are SP, LP, and SLP/EP, the SLP and EP designations being dependent on the manufacturer. Some units do not offer LP recording, but will play tapes recorded at that speed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here