Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Media built-in ideas

Posted by jemcdonald (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 19:46

Hello - looking for some ideas on getting a custom / semi-custom media built-in between the two windows; cost, features, etc. Room is about 16x27. Need to incorporate a 55 inch tv, & hidden components (receiver, 5.1 surround, cable, gaming). Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Media built-in ideas

Is your house on a slab?

o

no, full basement. ranch style.

o

You can have one "Custom Built" as I did, for our family room.

We wanted both a big screen TV, plus a gas fireplace.
We also wanted room for the audio and video components,
storage for CD's and DVD's. We also did not want speakers
showing, so they are built in too, with a sub woofer below the TV, there's also a computer in there too.

I designed it, and I had the same guy that built and install our kitchen cabinets build the entertainment center.

At least in California there are many cabinet makers available for hire. It cost me $4500.00 in 2006.
That price does not include the fireplace with the back lighted onyx surround.

Just figure out what size you need, and style, finish, etc, and then have it built for you.

Good Luck with it.

Gary

o

Thanks. Im going to mention it to our kitchen cabinet maker.

o

i'd say if you have a modern style look at the ikea BESTA line, they have some really cool looking solutions if you like that style. There are also plenty of wooden wall units of nice quality at many stores that give a built in look. I guess your budget will determine what kind of solution works best :)

o

Go for a projector and screen instead of a 55" TV. You can put all your equipment on the other side and leave the viewing experience to just your LCRS (left, center, right, sub) speakers and the screen. You can even paint the wall for the screen with nice black border or build your own screen. Beats any big screen tv.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here