Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hook a Bose to my TV?

Posted by littlebug5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 19:35

WARNING: I'm a very low-tech person. Can someone answer my question in plain English, please?

I have a new Bose radio. I want to plug it in to my small kitchen TV, a Sony, so I can listen to Dish Network radio stations on the Bose. I have a cable the local Radio Shack guy sold me - called an audio Y-cable - but when I plug it in like he told me, it doesn't work.

I plugged the white and red ends into the front of the TV, and the other solo end into the audio outlet at the back of the Bose. I turned the Bose to "aux" with the remote, but nothing happens. The sound still comes out of the TV, and no sound comes out of the Bose.

Do I need to do something different because the TV is plugged into a box for Dish Network? If so, what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hook a Bose to my TV?

The overall plan doesn't sound bad but it presumes the connectors on the front of the TV are outputs. I haven't seen every TV but the ones on the front are usually inputs. Check around back and see if anything is labeled out.

I don't know what you Dish receiver looks like but some have separate audio outputs. Connect that to your Bose and set for aux.

o

I agree with Mike that the jacks on the front of a TV are (in my experience) generally aux inputs - not outputs. As he said, see if anything is labled "out" or "output".

In addition, littlebug says she/he is plugging the "solo end into the audio outlet" on the Bose. Sounds like you need to find an input (not output) to plug into on the Bose.

Littlebug: The concept is that you're trying to take the signal "out" of the TV and "in" to the Bose radio.

o

The input jacks on the bose are the two at the top (at the back of the Bose) Like others have said, look for jacks on BACK of TV that say audio out or Out.
Strangely enough some TV's. like the 26 inch Sharp LCD TV
that I use as a "monitor" for this computer, does not have an external audio out, except for a digital one, and that won't work with your Bose.
One hopes after the answers that were given here, that the Op posts the results of connecting the 2 together!!!

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here