Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Playstation3 too hot to use as a dvd player?

Posted by gailrolfe (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 13:34

This is the warning we were given by one installer but no one else has mentioned it...this guy has tried to establish himself as the "high quality" guy and I'm not sure whether his advice is sound and we should consider a different blu-ray dvd player or whether this is just a way to set himself "above"...any comments?

I should add that the PS3 will be part of our system regardless because our son plays games on it.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Playstation3 too hot to use as a dvd player?

He is probably correct that they run hot.I was also considering a PS3 for its Blu-ray disk capability.After reading many reviews about there running hot.I decided to go with a Sony BDR-350 standalone and it runs cool no heat noticed even in my inclosed entertainment center cabinet.That would not have been possible with a PS3.I would not have let the heat issue scare me away for gaming however.But I have a XBox360 for gaming.

o

Thanks, john. We came to understand basically the same thing as what you said...so we'll get a separate dvd player and just let our son play games on the ps3.

o

The heat issue was from several years ago. This was corrected in the newer units. The home theater guys try to steer people away from the PS3 as it's death on their business once people find out how much a PS3 does (play music, movies, pictures, print pictures with compatable printer, surf the web...keyboard and mice plug in, download HD PPV movies, the list goes on.....).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here