Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Video projectors

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 13:21

This is a bit beyond home entertainment, but an area non-profit theatre shows many of the classic movies on the BIG screen. Many of these are shown from DVD and look so bright and fresh. But sometimes the aspect ratio is not correct. They will show films that are 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 at 1.33:1. The people look far too tall and far too thin. Buildings and vehicles are distorted. My efforts to communicate with them have failed. The projector they use must be a really powerful pro model. Do the pro DVD players and projectors offer a variety of aspect ratios in their menu? Looks as if they would.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Video projectors

The Panasonic projector I have can throw out several different aspect ratios.

The only problem with that is that by not using all the projector's pixels to show the image (the letterbox black bars above and below the projector could be considered wasted lumens or wasted brightness), the picture might not be as bright as it could be.

To get around that some folk add an anamorphic lense in front of their projector. That was you intentionally have the projector set as "distorted" (non-letterboxed) with image being stretched tall and thin. But you're using every lumen that the projector can throw.

The tall thin image passes through the anamorphic lens and gets "stretched" wider, which results in a normal aspect image.

My Oppo DVD player can't alter the aspect ratio, but I wouldn't be surprised if some can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here