Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yogeeta_gw

Flat screen LCD over fireplace

yogeeta
14 years ago

We are considering hanging our new 55" flatscreen LCD over the fireplace in the family room and want to see what other people who have a similar setup have to say. Do you like it? Is it uncomfortable? Note that we are mostly semi-reclining when viewing TV (natural body tilt!). We will be buying a sectional sofa, where the parallel to TV sofa part will be 15 feet away from the TV. The top of the TV will be one feet below the ceiling (I have 9 feet ceiling height).

I know that many people are completely against this, but I want to hear from people who have this setup.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• cesaly
    14 years ago

I know a few high-end AV guys. They all say don't put an LCD flat screen over a fireplace because heat affects performance and longevity. Didn't ask about the soot.

• shelleyrenae
    14 years ago

we've had 48" LCD flat screen on our fireplace mantle of our woodburning fireplace for several years. So far, we've had no issues at all and absolutely love it our den is about 18' x 20'. We never thought to consult anyone about it, just went to Best Buy and bought the t.v...they only had one that's base would fit on the mantle..no complaints or problems here.

• dshuler99
    14 years ago

I've got a 42" plasma above my fireplace. At first, I didn't enjoy looking upward at the TV, but I kept it there because the position makes viewing from my dining area possible. Now, the upward viewing angle is not bothersome.

• yogeeta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your replies. We are mostly going to go with this idea. Our mantle is pretty high, so we tried getting estimates to lower it (cut out a portion of the surround), but it seems pretty expensive to do that and since this is a brand new house, we are not sure if we want to start breaking things.

• toomuchremodeling
    14 years ago

We put our LCD above the fireplace five years ago and it is a total non-issue. We did have a mantle which acted as a bit of a break for the heat.

We also used a mount that tilted down a bit, which was nice. No one ever complained.

• fandlil
    14 years ago

Since your house is new, you should check the specs of your fireplace and look specifically at the CLEARANCES. These numbers refer to the distance around the firebox that needs to have only noncombustible material, like marble, slate, metal, etc. If your mantel is wood and your fireplace was installed properly, you can be sure that placing something above the mantel will not be a fire hazard. But heat rises and therefore the wall above the firebox will be warmer than, say, another wall in the room. There is therefore a risk that the extra heat will shorten the life of the TV.

• beccap
    14 years ago

We have a Samsung flat screen LCD and in very fine print it is stated that the warranty is void if hung over a heat source.

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!
More Discussions