Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

AV wiring for new build

mtvhike
9 years ago

I'm building a new house and want to put in desired wiring while the walls are open. I'm going to have a media room, which will have the TV, sound system, etc. but want to have extension speakers through the house. My inclination is to run speaker wires (14 Ga solid) to all the potential locations from the media room. The question is "what is the best way to control them?" My current Yamaha AV receiver has two zones, and zone 2 is used for all the speakers not in the media room, and that works, but I want to plan for the future. One question is "what type of remote speakers to use?" In wall or stand alone? Powered or unpowered? (powered would requre an outlet near the speaker). Powered speakers don't seem to be as good as the better unpowered bookshelf speakers. People have suggested a Sonos system, but I think that works only through their own speakers. Is it worthwhile to plan to have surround sound (5.1 or 6 channels) in the remote rooms (Lr/Dr, Kitchen, and MBr)?
In addition, I will run ethernet and RG6 cables to many potential locations. Leave their ends behind marked locations on the wall until they are needed. Am I forgetting anything?
My family consists of two retired adults, who mostly listen to the same thing, so two separately programmable zones are more than enough.
Comments?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions