Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hiding tv wires

Posted by ray_bob (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 07 at 0:14

I AM MOUNTING A FLAT PANEL TV ON THE WALL. WHAT DO I NEED TO HIDE THE WIRES IN THE WALL? I AM USING HDMI MONSTER CABLES. THANK YOU

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hiding tv wires

The wires can run exposed in your wall. They make two types of HDMI cables. One for in-wall runs and the other exposed. I've found them both to work well in-wall. The only concern I would have is how far is your run to your plasma?

o
RE: hiding tv wires

If you are asking "how" to hide the wire within an existing wall...

You need to remove the baseboard or crown molding so you can run it down and along the floor or up and around the ceiling to get to the receiver.

I did this with speaker wire. Luckily I have about 18" space above my ceiling so it was really easy to fish across the room. But we had a header in the corner of ceiling so we had to drill at an angle from ceiling to wall to run the wire down to the recepticle on wall. But we were able to cover the little bit of wire with crown molding.

They sell hdmi plates and connectors so you can make a professional installation.

Do some research on the length of your cable, there seems to be lots of opinions about how far you can or cannot go from receiver to tv.

Good luck.

Oh, another trick. I had to hide wire but was unable to get between the studs in wall. So I dug out a trench in the corner or room. Was able to shove the wire in there and then covered it with caulking. Because I took my time and only made a tiny trench, you cannot see that it was even done. I could have put more joint compound over it to make it blend even more it I had to, but the trench was so tiny it blends right in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here