Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat screen on wall...no fireplace

Posted by nikkidan (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 23:28

Having a bit of a dilemma. Starting to plan my furniture arrangement a bit. Our family room TV (55-70" LED...haven't decided on size yet) will be on a wall that is 17 feet wide. No fireplace...it just seemed a waste of $$ since we are just not the fireplace type. Then I got to thinking, if we don't have a fireplace, then the TV will look stupid up high. THEN after researching a bit, it seems general consensus is that it's not a good idea to put the TV up high like that. BUT, in the meantime, it's made me want a fireplace! Darnit! So anyways...maybe down the road we will put a fireplace in the corner.

But for now...can I put my TV on the wall at the correct viewing level (what is that?)...and what do I put around it? We have flat screens on the walls in our bedrooms now, but have always had a regular 36" TV in our livingroom in an entertainment unit. The unit we have is really nice, but won't fit the bigger TV we plan to get for the new house.

How is your TV wall arranged? Pics? Is the TV on the wall, or on a stand? We will probably just have the dish hooked up to this TV. The Xbox, etc will be on the kids TV in the upstairs family room. So the only wires on this one will be from the dish, as far as I know right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat screen on wall...no fireplace

Here's what I did nikkidan. I designed the entertainment center, then I had my kitchen cabinet builder build it.
It cost me $4500.00.

The fireplace is a remote controlled Valor and it heats the whole Downstairs, it is a direct vent fireplace.
It have saved us a ton on energy cost, as we rarely use the
force air heating system---the fireplace puts out more than enough heat for the entire downstairs of our 2700 sq ft house.

The TV is at just the perfect height for us, and many times I stand in front of the fireplace while watching TV.
The fireplace elevated like it is, the heat hits you,
"Right where it does the most good"!!!

Good luck with yours!

anyway, here's mine.

Kitchen family room viewed from

Good Luck with yours!

Gary

o

The TV should be wall mounted so the bottom half is eye-level while seated. Any higher will cause neck strain. It looks a little odd while standing, but will be the perfect height while seated. Make sure to arrange the seating distance based upon the 720/1080P rating of the TV

o

Most tv consoles are 24-30" so that the tv is eye level when seated. Our family room is also 17' and I believe that's a 60 or 65" tv.

Here's our setup:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Pps7...where are the cords that go from your tv to your electronics in the cabinet?

o

The cords are fished behind the wall.

o

Just to elaborate, while in-wall rated audio/video cables are fished down walls all the time, the television's AC power cord may not be. It requires that an AC outlet be installed in the wall behind the television.

o

Yeah it's a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here