Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johndeere_gw

hdmi and optical cable question

johndeere
15 years ago

I have a Sony HDTV with 3 hdmi ports and also 1 optical cable out.I have a Panasonic 5.1 surround sound system with 1 optical cable in.I will as of Tuesday have a HD Dishnetwork reciever that has a HDMI out and possibly optical cable also?I will also be adding a Sony Blu-ray player or possibly SonyPlaystation3?

My question is my surround sound system has no HDMI so.Getting the best possible sound from the Dishnetwork HD RECIEVER and Bluray player.Will I need to add a optical cable?If so will I just add one connected to the TV and go to the Surroundsound reviever or will I need to go from the HD dishnetwork reciver to the suuroundsound reciever?Or both?

Comments (5)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Your tv will be getting digital audio from the converter box via hdmi. It will send the same digital audio signal to the HT via optic cable. Is the Blu-ray a separate unit? If so, connect via hdmi to tv, and the audio will process through the optical link as above. The tv becomes the router.
    Casey

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

You definitely want a PS3 for your BluRay device. I don't even have the 1st game for mine... It lets you display your photos, play your MP3's, surf the web (if you have a wireless network, watch movie trailers it downloads, and use it as a CD/DVD/Blueray player. Does a lot.....

• johndeere
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking PS3 I liked the WIFI because the Blu-ray player standalones only have a ethernet port.I do not like the idea of running 50' of ethernet cable to a Blu-ray player.However I would only be intersted in the updates.So I could just hook it up temporary for the downloads.

However I have a intertainment center and the PS3 would be in a inclosed cabinet.They say they run warm so not a good idea for my set up.I have shelves that are open but not very much height and could still have over heating issues?

I here the PS3 has a fan that is load and can be anoying watching movies?Also the Bluray players Sony even can be had for under $200.00 now.

I did have my heart set on a PS3 however.

• nine7xbam
    15 years ago

The method the second poster suggested should work fine since HDMI cables support 5.1 digital dolby sound just like the optical cables . Another way to go is an optical (also called TOS Link) cable splitter as in the link below . This method would allow sound from the cable/satellite box , such as listening to music channels or possibly a sports talk channel and the like with the tv off - saving power . That's the beauty of electronic hookups as there's almost always more than one way to go . If you don't already have HDMI cables get them online and not from the stores where they're overpriced - Monster Cable being the absolute worst ! I bought 4 six foot HDMI cables from amazon.com for 20 bucks total and they work just fine .

Here is a link that might be useful: Optical Cable Splitter

• johndeere
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know what you mean about expensive HDMI and Optical cables WOW!I did not order online and hated shelling out $48.00 for a 12'HDMI
    $32.00 for a 6' HDMI
    $27.00 for a 8' OPTICAL

However everything is up and working well.I went with the stand alone Sony Blu-ray and got a good deal on Black Friday $179.00 Sony BDP-S350 and HD Dishnetwork is awesome?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions