Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cable or Satellite

Posted by paco6945 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 14:51

What are the advantages/disadvantages of cable versus satellite. We have Time Warner now and will be moving into new house in about a month. I've never been crazy about TW. I'm leaning toward DirectTV, but don't particularly want set top boxes. I don't think there are any "cable" cards yet for satellite.

Also, I've got two TVs in the main house and 3 in the guest house. I want everyone to be able to control their own TV.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cable or Satellite

I had DirecTV for several years. I enjoyed it with the exception of losing the signal during heavy rain. Partly due to the weather itself, partly due to that I live in a heavily treed area and had a narrow sight line to the satellite.

I'd probably still have it were it not for their satellite internet being VPN. I can't use VPN for work, so I switched over the Comcast for broadband as well as cable.

The cable signal is more reliable than satellite, but again, that's due to my location.

If HD is important to you, compare the two. The HD channels are stunning when compared to non-HD, although again, I have a projector with a 133" screen, so the effect will be less on a smaller screen.

As far as service, they both seemed fine.

Picture quality is fine.

Channels available to watch is fine, but for some reason I think DirecTV has better sports coverage.

With DT, look at the ability to get your local networks. That used to be difficult years ago, I think they ironed out the problems over the past few years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here