Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comcast or electrician does ethernet wiring?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 14:50

I'd like to have my house Ethernet wired (cat6a or cat6 line), so all the computers in each room can be wire-connected. We just bought a 30-year-old house (1800 sq ft) in the bay area with flat roof and underground crawl space. Would comcast or electrician do the work? I called comcast, and the lady asked me to bring the questions to the technician who would install the internet service. Would that be a lot work?

Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comcast or electrician does ethernet wiring?

I wouldn't suggest Comcast or an electrician. Most electricians (there are some exceptions) don't have the knowledge to properly run and terminate ethernet cabling. With Comcast, you might get lucky and get a skilled technician but they are few and far between.

Look for a company that installs home A/V equipment or computer networks. Companies that configure computer networks don't always install cabling, but they could refer you to someone.

I'm including a link for the CEDIA trade association dealer locator, it would be a good start.

Here is a link that might be useful: CEDIA - Find a dealer

o
RE: Comcast or electrician does ethernet wiring?

Retrofitting Ethernet cabling will be a major job and will typically be very costly (labour). A lot of planning will have to be done to minimize cable length, number of switches, ...

All the cable will have to be run I a star pattern from the main router location and avoid close proximity with power lines.

A wiring closet will be required along with Ethernet switches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here