Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do I need to know/do for cable/fios/wireless network?

Posted by poodledo (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 13:20

Hello,
our house is gutted and being re-wired. Previously we did not have cable or internet in our house and as a result neither DH nor I know diddly about wiring and are taking our GC's word for advice.
Thought i would ask for your collective wisdom. The plans as he explained them to us are as follows:
Place a cat5 (Whatever that is??) in all the rooms and install ceiling electrical for speakers in LR ceiling. Does that sound adequate for eventually putting in either cable, FiOS, and wireless computer network???
I'm sorry I don't know what I don't know and hence don't know what I should be asking, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Poodledo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do I need to know/do for cable/fios/wireless network?

That sounds like it will be more than enough. You should also run extra cables (cable TV, and Cat-5) from the point where the cables enter your home to the area where your main TV will be. You will be glad they're there later so you can watch the new web-based movie streaming services on your TV.

o
RE: what do I need to know/do for cable/fios/wireless network?

CAT5 is simply a designation for a kind of wire typically used for computer networks. I don't know about FIOS but AT&T's Uverse can also use it to transmit a signal for television. COAX is a type of wire used for television transmission exclusively.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have COAX run to every room you're likely to have a television in and CAT5 to every room you are likely to have a television and/or a computer.

Wireless networking (for computers) is just that - no wires. It's often called WiFi (pronounced Y-fi). The obvious advantage is that you don't have to run wires anywhere. The disadvantage is that it's often not quite as fast as a wired network. WiFi is less secure than a hard wired network and susceptible to interference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here