Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viewing distance vs tv size

Posted by haus_proud (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 12:04

We are planning to get a really big flat panel tv, 60 inches or so. Is this big enough for viewing 17 feet from the screen? And for a 55 inch tv, is this big enough for viewing from 15 feet? I know about the "guidelines" offered from various websites. I'm looking for comments from personal experiences by people who are actually using their tvs. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viewing distance vs tv size

Rule of thumb: buy the biggest TV set that doesn't give you a headache! Most people think that they bought too small a TV set once they get the TV home.

o

The older I get, the less I can read on the screen, so will soon have to resort to wearing glasses just to watch TV.

Will the TV be watched from varying distances? Is the room 17' wide or long, or is that maybe the distance to see it from the kitchen or something? I'd go with what was the suggested size (or maybe a little bigger) for the majority of the viewers.

o

Buy big. Unless you're sitting right in front of it, you'll be happy. Think about how big a movie screen is at the theater in relation to your seating distance. Like it was said above, you're more likely to be disappointed by buying too small than buying too big.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here