Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you use a splitter on Cat5e cable?

Posted by stash-hdy (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 8:14

I have Cat5e cable going to one of my TVs for internet access and would like to enable another TV. Can I use a splitter on the installed cable or do I need to run a cable from the Router to the TV I want to enable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you use a splitter on Cat5e cable?

Assuming we're talking Ethernet here - no, you can't use a passive splitter. But you can buy an Ethernet hub for $25 or less and use that.

o

I am using the connection to the Router to stream movies to my Home Theater system and want to enable another TV in another room. Are there any speed considerations I should be aware of to use an Ethernet hub? Is installing the hub near my Home Theater then connecting the hub to that system and then running another Cat5e to the new location OK?

o

The easiest, most reliable & consumer friendly way to attempt running streaming video to two separate media players (ie TV, Blu-ray, STB) at the same time is to use separate ports on your current router and run another Cat5e cable to your second media player.

o

Thanks, I was hoping there was a way where I did not have to fish another wire to the Router. I really appreciate your feedback and time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here