Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Subwoofer causing granite to crack

Posted by deb_nick (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 24, 06 at 1:40

My husband has his home theatre set up in a room in the basement. Directly above this room is our kitchen that has granite floors probably set in a concrete bed. I noticed a thin hairline fracture in the granite running from one side of the kitchen to the other. And now there is another new fracture. I suspect the loud vibrations from the home theatre sound system is causing the kitchen floor above it to move thereby causing the fractures. Could anyone suggest what to do to stop the sound/vibrations from travelling upwards to the kitchen floor? Currently, we have the subwoofer on the lowest setting as a temporary solution, but we are losing out on the full theatre experience. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Subwoofer causing granite to crack

Do the lights dim in your neighborhood when DH switches on the home theater? :-)

Seriously, that subwoofer would have to be pumping out some serious bass to do that to any floor which was installed properly. If you want to rule out the subwoofer as the cause, you can mount it on something which will "decouple" it from other hard surfaces. Audio places sell synthetic "feet" you can use; you also could put a pillow or towel or yoga pad under the subwoofer. You'll lose some of the "thump" but it at least will confirm or deny that the subwoofer is damaging the floor.

o

It is more likely that the weight of people in the kitchen are flexing the floor and causing it to crack. The floor may not be stiff enough. People walking in the kitchen are going to cause more vibration and flex that a subwoofer on a lower floor.

o

Yup. Too much deflection in the granite installation. It has nothing to do with subwoofer vibration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here