Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Want TiVo with antenna

Posted by ktmast (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 21:56

I want to get a TiVo box and record using an antenna. We currently have a roof antenna - really old, but current HDTV is doing fine with it. Do I need to get a new antenna to use with the TiVo? I don't want to have cable and TiVo seems to be one of the easiest options without paying monthly for TV (I know TiVo had a service fee, but you can pay a flat amount and not a monthly fee).

So if my current antenna is working with my HDTV, will it work with TiVo? Does TiVo have a tuner? I know antennas are now sold at HD antennas but I'm not sure how they are different from the older antennas.

Help please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Want TiVo with antenna

No, you do not need a new antenna for TiVo, and yes, the TiVo box has it's own tuner.

That said, some tuners can be better than others, but most are generally happy with the same antenna. Sometimes slight realignment, or in a very unusual circumstance, replacement maybe necessary, but very unlikely.

No, there is absolutely, positively, no difference in television antennas sold for years from the "HD labeled ones" - except sometimes the "HD" ones are actually more limited in their sensitivity and bandwidth - not a good thing.

The antenna does not care if the signal is analog or digital.

o

Thanks so much Yosemitebill! The information on the internet seems sparse when it comes to this subject. I just love the garden web forums! People are so nice and helpful. You made my day!

o

TiVo will absolutely work with an antenna and since you already have an antenna there won't be much more to hooking it up than connecting the antenna to the Tivo and the Tivo to the TV.

If you have a broadband Internet connection you can get Netflix, Huluplus, Amazon, and a bunch of free shows as well.

I've used DVR's from Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon and they pale in comparison to TiVo in terms of ease of use and functionality.

o

Thanks Mike! I ordered the unit today and am looking forward to receiving it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here