Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upgrading speakers in FR -- stick with Bose?

Posted by Janice742 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:37

We do most of our TV viewing in our Family Room.

Recently upgraded our TV to a Samsung Smart TV. We added Apple TV and enjoy this (but haven't really used it to it's full potential)

We have a Bose system which is about 10 years old. It's worked really well for us - but it's time to upgrade to something that we can plug our iPod into when we don't want to use Apple TV.

Also - we haven't been able to figure out how to tie the Apple TV into the Bose - so we are currently listening to music with ATV using the TV speakers and not the Bose.

Here is our space:

It was difficult to find a corner TV stand that was high enough for TV viewing (the longer ones are very low) - Plus the corner isn't all that big. (also - I can see the TV from the kitchen - so I like having it at that height)

With all of the windows - it's a tough room to deal with -
Moving the TV or mounting it over the fireplace is not an option.

We need to stick with a system similar to Bose - subwoofer placed behind the stand - speakers on the stand.

What's important to us:

Sound quality
User friendly
Use with iPod
Use with Apple TV

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upgrading speakers in FR -- stick with Bose?

Not a Bose fan, 2X the $ for 50% of the product. Look at Onkyo 626 and an Energy Take 5 speaker system, I have this in my family room and it rocks. The Take 5 is an awesome speaker system. Unlike Bose, they don't spend a gazillion on advertising each year.

o

Assuming that you have a hdmi capable receiver.
The speakers should be tied to the receiver. The hdmi output of the Apple TV should go to the receiver first. The tv should in turn be connected to the receiver.

o

Seems like you could add an ipod dock and plug it into the aux input jacks on the receiver too. Should work for any receiver.

I agree on the Bose. Many of their products don't deliver much bang for the buck despite their advertising.

o

"Not a Bose fan, 2X the $ for 50% of the product."

This. Bose makes a decent product, but markets the heck out of it. There are certain limits on what you can do with a speaker of a certain size, and Bose likes to pretend there aren't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here