Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Distributed video over RF

Posted by memarcus (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 11:50

I am planning for structured wiring system of my house. so far I only have a CCTV signal that I would like to distribute (in addition to CATV). Is this as simple as using a 3in/8out distribution amp or is there more to it?

Also in viewing the signals, will you just flip to one channel for the CATV (and then change channels using CATV box) and flip to another channel on the RF to view the other distributed signals?

I am having 2+2 composite cable all over the place but would like to keep the CCTV on one of the RF lines. I would like to keep the CAT lines for data and other A/V distribution, such as AV reciever in the theatre room. I know I can send over the CAT5e lines with baluns and such but so far it looks like the cheapest and simplest option is over the RF line combined with the CATV signal.

Is there any problems with this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Distributed video over RF

You need a video modulator. You can then modulate any video signal to whatever channel you want. You just have to make sure the frequency associated with that channel is clear on the CATV line. This a is were a problem may occur. Most cable systems are hybrid with part of the signals analog and part digitial. In my case 2-63 was analog 64-124 was for digital channels. I used a notch filter to remove channels 64-70 and put back the CCTV as channel 66. This worked well for me since all the TVs it fed only had analog tuners and only received channels 2-63 +66. If I wanted a cable box for the higher channels, I would lose whatever had been broadcast in 64-70 region.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here