Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surround sound not centered on TV?

Posted by backcountrydc (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 23:55

I just moved into a house that has surround sound speakers in the ceiling and all of the wires running to one corner of the room. The previous owner had a TV mounted above the fireplace, which is what the speakers are centered around. I've measured the temp above the fireplace, and it's just too hot to put the TV there, so I am going to need to put the TV on a stand in one of the corners. My question is, will the surround sound seem right if the TV is not centered under the front center channel? It would be directly underneath one of the side channels. I'd obviously like to use the surround sound since it's already there, but I don't know if it'll sound wierd being off center. Anybody have any idea? I can't test it, because I don't have a receiver right now. That's the other kicker - I have to buy a receiver, which I'm game to do if it'll sound good still. But I hate to buy a receiver and get it all set up, only to be driven crazy by off center speakers. If it matters, the main couch sits about 3 feet in front of the rear two ceiling speakers and about 8 feet from the front speakers (centered between the side channels). Anybody have any experience using surround sound off center from the TV?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surround sound not centered on TV?

I have the same question with u...

Here is a link that might be useful: Married with children

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here