Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A/V question - Help needed with home remodel

Posted by chocoholic77 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 13:59

Hi Everyone,
We are in the midst of a remodel (addition and remodel of main living area). We will be rewiring the whole main floor (we are in a split level). We are really out of our league when it comes to the wiring and are not getting the type of help/info from the few professionals we've contacted so we thought to contact the well informed on this site.

We are planning to centralize the home AV/internet setup. Thinking of using CAT6 instead of HDMI cables and we would use an HDMI over CAT6 extender. Does it matter if it is passive vs. active? We were thinking of using passive so we don't need a low voltage for the passive extender.

OR should we just scrap the whole CAT6 idea and use high speed HDMI cable with RedMere Technology. The largest run is 45 feet.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A/V question - Help needed with home remodel

I'd go with the Cat6 if that is your choice. I'd run multiple so you can decide later if you need video, computer network, or basic phone lines. In my house, each room has two wall plates. Behind each are TWO Cat5e and TWO RG6 cables back to the basement distribution area.

o

" In my house, each room has two wall plates. Behind each are TWO Cat5e and TWO RG6 cables back to the basement distribution area."

Do you really need or use 4 connections in each room?

o

In most cases you run two of each cable to each jack so that it can either be a source or a receiver, or both. For example with 2 RG-6 cables you can have that location recieve a signal (e.g., cable TV), but it can also include a device that feeds the signal to other location (e.g., it could be the source for distributing a video signal to another room).

When I had AT&T Uverse you also had the option of using Cat 5 instead of RG-6 to distribute the Uverse signal to another room. This was convenient in several cases where it was easier to run and hide a Cat 5 cable than it was to run RG-6.

Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here