Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
signal loss splitting RG6

Posted by where_am_i (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 6, 06 at 13:38

I'm in the process of wiring my unfinished basement and a couple areas above on my main level. By the time I am done, I will probably have 5 or 6 RG6 coax runs that I want to split off of my main cable coming in the house (right now off of an off air HD antenna). I don't have cable or satellite right now but may in the future. I was looking at the 1ghz splitters and am wondering how much signal loss will there be by using them? Is there a better way to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: signal loss splitting RG6

If you ever go to satellite Tv, youy should think about this.
As it stands right now, in order to feed several TV sets, they usually run 4 RG6 cables from the multisatellite dish (which has 4 outputs) to a multiswitch.
Then an RG6 cable is run from each output of the multiswitch to each satellite receiver at the TV. If the satellite receiver has two tuners, you would need 2 cables running from 2 outputs on the multiswitch.
I'd recommend that the area, where the cable from the antenna and the various runs going to the TV's are located, be kept so that you can get to it easily.
You may need power available at that point also.

o

There is probably much more information here than you need but it does have the information you are looking for and is an interesting read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Structured wiring

o

Home run all your RG-6 cables to a single point. Only connect the ones that you are actually using. No point in having losses from splitter ports that are not actually used. Run two RG-6 cables to each possible TV location. This can be used for dual tuner satellite or over-the-air HDTV + sat or cable. Leave in pull strings and conduit for future changes.

o

Bad info above.

If, and that's a BIG if, your "potential" sat receivers would be located AT the individual TV locations you should run a minimum of 3 RG6 (2 tuners & 1 off-air)to each location. And you should also run at least one Cat5 to each as well (telco).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here