Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DirectTV and International 'receivers' how to remove?

Posted by cottagelivinginiowa (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 12:17

I just got a small house that was rented out for years. The renters had tons of TVs and internet 'stations' and installed direct TV. I know the satellite is direct TV, and I am told the box like apparatus on the house (next to it) is the international programming antennae. These two things are unattractive and are unused in my home (I have no plans to get a plan with them), I'd like to remove them---how do I do this? Is electricity involved? Just unbolt them and pull the cables out? Any help is appreciated. DTV said they do not remove them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DirectTV and International 'receivers' how to remove?

You need to be careful in removing antennas on the roof that the roof remains weather sealed. You don't want water entering the attic where the lag screws used to be. Additionally, I've seen installations of antennas on the roof where removing the dish antenna also damaged shingles under the mount. If you don't feel comfortable removing the antenna call a local company that installs for Dish or DirectTV and pay them to remove the equipment.

o
RE: DirectTV and International 'receivers' how to remove?

sorry for the late reply, hope this helps.

if the dish is mounted thru the roof, you can leave the base plate and just remove the dish and mast. if you do unbolt the base, simply fill each hole with SILICONE or ROOF PATCH. do not use CAULK.

if the dish is mounted to teh side of the home, caulk is fine to fill the holes.

as far as the international box, just remove it. the cables for it and the dish should just be coiled up and tucked away under the eave. you never know, you may decide to put an antenna up to pick up the new DTV channels over the air soon and these cables could come in handy! if you are 100% sure you will never need them, then cut them off.

i have never dealt with teh international box, but the dish itself has no voltage going to it when there are no receivers hooked up. even then it is car battery voltage, not deadly house voltage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here