Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
risers in entertainment center

Posted by vegasneon (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 5:29

Surely someone else has this problem but I searched and couldnt find a prior post. When my cable box and DVD player are in the entertainment center I have to rise them up a couple inches because there is a wood frame around the glass doors. Otherwise the little ir "eyes"(?) for the remote would be behind wood. I have been using metal cookie tins but this makes both kind of tippy if you touch them or need to move them. Most often the problem is my little granddaughter wants to load her own DVDs, so I let her push the button for the tray to come in and out so I can avoid her touching the actual DVD- that being MY job. So what do other people do? Should I build little wood made to fit shelves or is there an easy solution? Is it better for these hot appliances to sit on wood or metal, I assume wood.
Thanks for your help, Rebecca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: risers in entertainment center

Can't you adjust the shelves?

o
RE: risers in entertainment center

My take is that this is the "floor" of the cabinet, so there is no adjustable shelf.

Rebecca, easiest would be to raise the devices up so they clear ir eyes on the devices clear the bottom rail on the cabinet door. Small blocks of wood under each foot will do the trick but they might not be stable enough, perhaps an inverted "U" type of assembly out of a small piece of plywood and a thickness of wood on each side to raise the plywood up a few inches would suffice.

If you want to get fancy you can get an ir repeater or ir extender, something along those lines. Those have little ir "eyes" that you can install within line of sight of the remote, the other end gets plugged in to the device you want to control. They vary in complexity. And in price.

You can search online, but they do also sell them at stores like Radio Shack.

Mongo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here