Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
50 inch 1080 or 58 inch 720 plasma TV--which is better buy?

Posted by bstnjohn (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 22:14

I'm deciding between buying a 1080 50" plasma tv and a 58" 720 unit. I use it mostly for television viewing. Been told that the naked eye can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720. Should I select the higher defination TV or go for the larger screen size? Both of the units I'm looking at are Panasonic which have excellent reviews. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 50 inch 1080 or 58 inch 720 plasma TV--which is better buy?

Been told that the naked eye can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720.

Well, it can -- up to a certain distance, but you likely will be well beyond that distance with either of these TVs. The usual guidelines suggest you sit at a distance of about three times the height of the screen. For these TVs that's about 80 or 90 inches (6-1/2 to 7-1/2 feet). If you prefer to (or have to) sit farther away than that, then go for the bigger set because you won't likely see the extra detail of 1080 anyway.

o
RE: 50 inch 1080 or 58 inch 720 plasma TV--which is better buy?

bstnjohn,

There are twice as many pixels in a 1080p set vs a 720p set (2M to 1M). Generally, the more pixels, the better the details in dark passages, greather details and smoother video. Also, if you plan to go with one of the high def DVD formats (Blu Ray or HD-DVD), these are natively at 1080p. The player would need to downconvert to play on the 720p machine. I have 55" 1080p Sony. I definitely prefer 1080 vs 720. I sit about 9 feet away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here