Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Chafing Dish Burner Won't Light!

Posted by mayfirst (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 17:40

I have a beautiful silver plated chafing dish which I recently inherited. I am at my wit's end trying to light the burner that comes with it. I have purchased two types of chafing dish/fondue fuels without success. I am posting a photo of a burner almost identical to mine. It is a round silver plated container with a screw in top which holds the wick. There is a long handle attached to this top which regulates the amount of height that the wick extends. I assume that closing it completely is intended to extinguish the flame but the darn thing will not light at all. I have trimmed the wick on both ends and it is plenty long enough to soak into the fuel. The part sticking up is wet. What am I doing wrong? AGGHH

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Dish with Burner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Chafing Dish Burner Won't Light!

Hmmm, must be the wiring. Just kidding ya, this is an electronics type of forum. :) I'll bet the Kitchen Forum folks can help you out.

o
RE: Help Chafing Dish Burner Won't Light!

No idea how I stumbled on this post....but I did!
The burner you showed is an alcohol burner....needs fuel to burn. You need to buy "chafing dish fuel" or denatured alcohol and remove the lid of the thing-ey that holds the wick...pour some in, replace the top....wait a few minutes for it to soak up into the wick and then light it.
That little cone shaped doo-dah is the douter....the snuffer...the thing that puts out the flame.
Looks like a lovely chafing dish!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here