Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to put speakers -- for music and movies?

Posted by GreenHighlighter (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 17:09

Hello,

I'm totally coming into this late in the process. We're in the process of remodeling our house, and we thought that speakers would all go in the ceiling, so we had them wire for that and then haven't thought about it since. Now our contractor wants our speakers, so I'm doing research now.

We want two main things:
- speakers to play music for when we're just around the house
- speakers to play sound for movies, TV shows

We have three main TV/movie watching areas: family room, a basement play room, and the master bedroom. And then want speakers for music for those three areas, plus the great room and kitchen.

We had them prewire the ceilings for those rooms, but now I've found out that ceiling speakers are good for music but not for movies! So, what do you do if you want both? Do people put speakers in their ceiling AND their walls?? We're not audiophiles, but do enjoy good sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to put speakers -- for music and movies?

GreenHighlighter,

It would be good to know what kind of budget you are working with, and what kind of equipment that you are dealing with; for example, what amplifier are you using for the ceiling speakers and how many zones that this amp can run, and how many sources can you draw from with this amp.

I agree with the statement that ceiling speakers are good for background music and not for movies.
I like main speakers into the room (left and right mains) for movies with a sub-woofer and wall mounted surround speakers.

I would treat listening to background music and watching movies differently.

hth

o

I've learned that "good" to "better" ceiling speakers are better for surround sound than for music. We are waiting until we can afford the right speakers to do both. Ceiling speakers in this range are $250 + each, not per pair. A little steep for us at the moment, so our Polk bookshelf speakers are filling in.

o

I would suggest that for surround sound speakers that on-wall speakers are best instead of in-ceiling, they move the sound around the room much better by handing off the sound of one speaker to the next.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here