Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhighlighter

Where to put speakers -- for music and movies?

GreenHighlighter
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm totally coming into this late in the process. We're in the process of remodeling our house, and we thought that speakers would all go in the ceiling, so we had them wire for that and then haven't thought about it since. Now our contractor wants our speakers, so I'm doing research now.

We want two main things:
- speakers to play music for when we're just around the house
- speakers to play sound for movies, TV shows

We have three main TV/movie watching areas: family room, a basement play room, and the master bedroom. And then want speakers for music for those three areas, plus the great room and kitchen.

We had them prewire the ceilings for those rooms, but now I've found out that ceiling speakers are good for music but not for movies! So, what do you do if you want both? Do people put speakers in their ceiling AND their walls?? We're not audiophiles, but do enjoy good sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (9)

• Brent B
    10 years ago

GreenHighlighter,

It would be good to know what kind of budget you are working with, and what kind of equipment that you are dealing with; for example, what amplifier are you using for the ceiling speakers and how many zones that this amp can run, and how many sources can you draw from with this amp.

I agree with the statement that ceiling speakers are good for background music and not for movies.
    I like main speakers into the room (left and right mains) for movies with a sub-woofer and wall mounted surround speakers.

I would treat listening to background music and watching movies differently.

hth

• cparlf
    10 years ago

I've learned that "good" to "better" ceiling speakers are better for surround sound than for music. We are waiting until we can afford the right speakers to do both. Ceiling speakers in this range are $250 + each, not per pair. A little steep for us at the moment, so our Polk bookshelf speakers are filling in.

• Brent B
    10 years ago

I would suggest that for surround sound speakers that on-wall speakers are best instead of in-ceiling, they move the sound around the room much better by handing off the sound of one speaker to the next.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

you can buy purpose made speaker stands for home theater if you don't like them on the wall.
    everyone's right in that there's a big difference between music and a h/t source.

• PRO
    Fusion9 Design LLC
    8 years ago

The LCR speakers for theater should always be at or near the same plane as the screen, you can get away with ceiling for surrounds as it is meant to be a diffuse sound field for ambient and special effects.

• emma
    8 years ago

In the toilet as far as I am concerned. There is already so much noise coming from the TV that it is hard to hear the words. :-)

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

I'm sure you were being facetious Emma but in all seriousness, if you're listening to the tiny 1" speakers inside the TV (and many TV's don't even point them toward you), no wonder it's hard to hear. External speakers can be as big as they need to be to sound a lot better.

• PRO
    Audio Plus
    8 years ago

It depends on the placement of the speakers. If you prewired correctly, there should be some options. A few manufacturers make directionalized speakers that work well for imaging and TV/Movies for left, center & right front applications. If you just placed them in the center and sides of the room, you goofed. They're setup for low level background music, not imaging. Who wants to hear voices coming from above your head? If that's the case, use a 2 or 3 channel non-amplified sound bar for front channel, and surround channels the ceiling speaker with an affordable 5.1 A/V Receiver

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions