Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why did I say Buy whatever you want Honey?

Posted by samat40 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 10, 06 at 14:57

Moved into a new house and made the mistake of telling my DH to go buy whatever big screen he wants. And he did. Had to be not a 60 inch plain and simple, but a Sony DLP 60 inch that is actually 66 inches wide, making just about any entertainment center that fits in our family room too small.

I am limited as to total width of the unit-- needing to keep it under around 100 inches, but need the space in the console for the electronics, and shelves of some sort for the side speakers and the center speaker that should go over the top of the thing (can you tell I really don't know anything about this stuff?) We CAN get something from Stonecreek for $4k plus tax. Really didn't want to shell out that much. I haven't priced Customshoppe but even their stuff doesn't seem large enough-- stops at 61" wide. I imagine they will do special orders over their stock sizes, but that will probably cost more. Can anyone who has gotten things made custom tell me how much you had to pay?

I told the DH that he could have reduced the size by 8-10 inches, and spent the money we'd save on the cabinet buying more fancy gadgets for his soundsystem. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why did I say Buy whatever you want Honey?

samat40, I live in Minnesota, have an audio-videophile
husband, and we just had an entertainment center custom
built for his Sony 60 inch TV. The opening for the tv
is 68". My husband also loves high end electronics and
they just don't build ready made cabinets with deep enough
shelves. Our cabinet is 27" deep, 48" high and 120" wide.
It takes up a lot of the 15 foot wall it sits against, but
still leaves room for 2 speakers on either side and a fake
tree. The center speaker and 2 sub woofers have their
own space under the television. It cost us just under
$3000 for oak, and that includes both staining and delivery.
After pricing what the stores were offering, we felt we
got a good deal.

o

Ghatta,
Do you have a picture you can post of your custom entertainment center? My Dh bought a 61 inch TV, and now we are trying to figure out what to have built for it. Thanks!

o

Brachl,

I need to figure out how to post one, then I will. :-)
ghatta

o

I have a 57 inch widescreen projection and have it encased in entertainment center I bought from sams club for $750 and looks better than anything that the stores had to offer in units costing thousands more. It is really well made, solid wood, lights,glass doors and shelves, different door panels.

o

brachl, here is the picture you requested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here