Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great room speaker placement

Posted by elginagent (gary@windycityburbs.com) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 18:05

Hi, We're building new and until our basement gets finished with a media room, we need to hard wire surround speakers in our great room. It's about 20 X 17 with a 13 foot ceiling. Our big screen will be against one wall and the issue is placement of the speakers. I know that they could be hung from the ceiling but I'm thinking that the sound will be projected above our heads instead of behind. Is there a better way to configure this?
Will the sound be the same if the speakers are pointed downward toward our heads? If you can't tell, I'm a novice at this. Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great room speaker placement

Almost every speaker's sound will vary as you change your position relative to it, and usually for the worse. I would not recommend hanging speakers from the ceiling; the fact that you will be "off-axis" even if you point them at the seating areas) will distort the sound somewhat. I think your best bet is to choose one of the following: simply run wires to speakers mounted on stands (if you have the room); install speakers in the wall at ear level for most listeners (not hard to do since you're building new); or run cabling to some wall-mount brackets which would hold the speakers in good locations (may not be optimal since some speakers don't sound their best very close to a wall).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here