Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yakker2

Sony Bravos TV screen 'rains'

yakker2
12 years ago

My 2007 Sony Bravia gets "rain" stripes whenever it has been left unused for a few days. The colored stripes are usually vertical, but sometimes horizontal - never both at the same time. They start off as just a few lines, but increase until the picture is unviewable. Turning the set off usually corrects the picture for a few seconds. It takes several days of off/on clicking to get the normal screen. Anyone know of some sort of reset or adjustment that can fix the screen?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• yosemitebill
    12 years ago

You did't mention what your video source is (or sources are) and when you see the problem, but first you need to identify whether the problem is in the source, interconnect cables, or the display device.

While it sounds like it could be the display, HDMI & DVI digital sources and connections can create similar artifacts.

Please post a little more information as to if you see this on analog, digital, or both types of connected sources and the type of connection each source is using.

• yakker2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, yosemitebill - thanks for the response
    My source is cable. The stripes show up on previously recorded shows and on rental movies too, so it's my guess that the TV is at fault.

• yosemitebill
    12 years ago

Yes, it does like the television but I was just trying to make sure it wasn't another problem that caused artifacts similar to a common known issue.

There appears to be a common failure on Sony LCD panels from late 2007 that appear as vertical lines running through the picture after a couple years.

It's my understanding it is the panel itself - which would make what is often referred to as "beyond economical repair."

You can Google around and probably come up with much more information about it.

• yakker2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again, yosemitebill - my worst case scenario - rather surprising Sony would not do something about this defect
    Cheryl

• yakker2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So what replacement 42 inch lcd should I get??

• yosemitebill
    12 years ago

Vizio is currently the best selling brand in the US. They have proven to be very well made and reliable - even own one myself. On the other hand, occasionally, some of their remotes lack good tactile feeling on the buttons.

If you're a Costco or Sams Club member, that's where you'll usually find the best deals.

One of the things to watch out for, that most people don't think of when comparing televisions in the store, is the speaker sound quality. The "thin is in" of the televisions offers very little room for good quality sounding speakers. So, take a listen to them as well!

• yakker2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You have been a wonderful source of information. Many many thanks

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions