Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multi-Receiver Surround Sound--how to do?

Posted by bstnjohn (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 11:57

My new house-like condo is finally ready. I had the builder run speakers through out the unit to even include the master bedroom suite bathroom. Eight sets of speakers in total. Have them all connected to a selector box which I plan to connect to my receiver (Onkyo Home Theater Receiver (TX-SR603X) but I find that by using the "second room" option on the receiver the surround sound system is reduced to 5.1 instead of 7.1. I read that if I add a second receiver I will be able to use the 7 channels. Is this true and how do I connect the two receivers together? My plan is to play the same music in all rooms (mostly when I entertain) so I'm not concerned about different media types in the different rooms. Will this set up work? Are there other things that I need to consider? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multi-Receiver Surround Sound--how to do?

My guess is that it is using the power from 2 speakers of the 7.1 setup to drive your Speaker Set B and hence it reduces it by 2 to 5.1

Option 1: Get real- there are no 7.1 DVDs out there yet ;) Stick with 5.1 and keep in mind 7.1 is only marketing

Option 2: Buy a cheap reliable stereo reciever (I like Yamahas- they are quite dependable and can be had from craigslist for about $50) and connect it to the Tape Out outputs from your main reciever. You can connect your speaker selector to the 2nd reciever

o

Thanks. The reason I'm trying for 7.1 and not 5.1 is that I plan to add the two ceiling speakers in the living room near the receiver to the surround sound instead of via the speaker selector unit as I'm maxed out with selector spaces. That will allow for three speakers up front, two floor speakers and the ceiling ones. Sound logical?

o

We've been 5.1 for a long time. I talked with a stereo salesman and he said that I should not upgrade to 7.1 unless my room was at least 30 feet long. I'd go with the music in each room and not worry about 7.1 sound unless you have an extremely large media room.

o

You do NOT need another receiver.

What you need is another amplifier.

1. AudioSource Amp300 ($599.00 MSRP) would work well.

2. Onkyo M282 Power Amp ($320.00 MSRP) will do as well.

Using the Onkyo 603 room 2 function, you would connect a pair of RCA connectors from the 603 (I believe the tape out is assignable to room 2 out) to the outside amp, speaker wire from outside amp to the slector box.

Thank me later......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here