Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surround sound, $500-$600... help

Posted by rmkleman (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 2:33

Well just about to finish my living room thats about 18' long by 12' wide. I found my 52" 1080p lcd and i want to buy a surround sound. I know everyone is going to tell me thats i need to spend a lot more but the bottom line is that i cant afford to and do not look to upgrade it in the next few years. What kind of set up can i get for this? I want the tower speakers setup. I want the sub to have enough power to scare small children and possibly wake the neighbors or the dead for that matter... I would like to purchase one in about 2 weeks. I have no problem pieceing together one off ebay... I dont think i want a home theater in a box unless it can do what i want with the sub. I realize i need a powerd (plug in the wall) sub??? Let me know and please any comments at all would help me! Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surround sound, $500-$600... help

I bought an Onkyo home theatre setup in that price range. The sound is great. The engine in "Polar Express" sounds like its in the room and shakes the house. I had it for a couple years now and the only problem I had was the volume button on the remote is acting up, but I would buy it again.

You can check it out at CircuitCity. Be sure to check price with online retailers before buying though.

Good luck.

-jasper

o
RE: Surround sound, $500-$600... help

i bought a JVC controller, 5 speakers and a powered sub for around that price. you can always upgrade it later, so put in what you can afford now and then later get a bigger/better system and change it out. if you run wire in teh wall you don't have to change it out later.

if your tv has the built in surround outputs you could just buy the speakers/sub and be able to get higher in speakers since you don't have to get the controller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here