Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugly 80's intercom

Posted by kathymichigan (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 23:50

This is the most useless upgrade that came out of the 80's. I have a Nutone intercom in my 2600 sf, 4 BR 2.5 bath, two story house. I have central speakers in two vaulted ceilings on the first floor and 10 talk listen stations. Talk about overkill, I have one in each bedroom, laundry, front door, back door, side door, garage and a main 1'x2' panel in my kitchen. This large panel features a fantastic AM/FM radio and a cassette tape player!

This is not a large house. Did anyone ever hear of yelling back then? I've lived here 6 years and I have never used this thing, except the front doorbell is controlled within this, so, I'm a little dependent on this, just in case the FedEx guy comes calling. I would like to eliminate it altogether. At least, bring in into this century. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugly 80's intercom

The location doesn't make sense to put a small TV. Already have a dated security system. A charging station would be handy.

o

Check with your alarm company. I note that my alarm company also deals with in-wall sound systems and speakers, etc. and was surprised at the range of things they offer. Also, they may be able to utilize some of the existing wiring.

My first thought was that at least is is a cassette and not an 8-track.

o

Ours looks worse than yours! Ours is gaudy gold! YIKES! And we can't figure out how to work it. Will try electrician first, then alarm company. Our house is really BIG and yelling doesn't work!

Sympathize with you for sure!

Suzi

o

Well, the remodeling crew figured out how to work the thing, so now music is blasting throughout the house! LOL! If it makes them happy, so be it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here