Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vizio 32' Led - turned on and no sound

Posted by gma_j (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 23:33

We have had the Vizio for a little over a year and it has worked perfectly. We use it with DirecTV.
I turned it on this morning and there was absolutely no sound. I have checked everything I could think of with no luck.
Would any of you have any ideas for me? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vizio 32' Led - turned on and no sound

I see you posted this on electronics as well, but will reply here.

Without knowing the type of connection between the DirecTV box and your television, as well as the model number of the television, I can only offer some general suggestions. This also assumes you are talking about the built-in television speakers.

First you need to determine if the problem lies in the DirecTV box or television. Do you have another device such as a DVD player connected to the television? Does that have sound? If yes, the problem maybe the DirecTV box. If no, then it's the television.

If it's the television, the most obvious would be the "mute" button. Next would be to re-seat the connectors on both devices.

After that, there may be setup menu functions that allow you turn off the built-in speakers when connected to a separate audio system.

There may also be a function that allows you to select either an analog or digital audio input connection on the television, to accompany the video.

These are all fairly quick checks and if they all appear normal, unplug the television from the AC outlet for about 1-2 minutes and plug back in. This resets the electronics in it and may hopefully solve the problem.

If the earlier test indicated the DirecTV box may be the problem, try unplugging that, waiting, and plugging back in. Some set top boxes also have a mute function on the remote as well - you may want to check that first.

o
RE: Vizio 32' Led - turned on and no sound

Bill, thank you so much. The first thing I did was unplug "everything" for about 15 minutes. I now have sound. I truly appreciate your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here