Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calumin

HDMI wall plates

calumin
10 years ago

I am a couple days away from installing kitchen cabinets and am now rethinking my idea to install a mounted TV on a wall, with the TV equipment (cable box, BluRay, etc) in a kitchen cabinet below.

Everything looked good until I started to thinking about ventilation. All the fan / ventilation solutions I've considered require at least minimal cutting into the exterior-facing part of the kitchen cabinets, which my wife is vetoing. Plus I can't find a good way to vent the hot air out that doesn't require a lot of working through wall studs and ducting.

The setup is this: mounting a TV on our kitchen wall. Power is in a recessed outlet just under the TV mount. The low voltage wires (HDMI, Cat 5e / Ethernet. IR) are behind the wall -- they had to cross through one wall stud, then hang down. The original idea was to bring them back into the side of a kitchen cabinet that extends as a peninsula. The cabinet has doors on both sides & doesn't have a natural place for a fan / vent.

The other side of the wall is my living room. Instead of using the kitchen cabinet, I'm thinking of attaching HDMI wall plates to the living room side wall, and connecting the devices there in open air (next to where my living room TV is placed). I also have an IR sensor under the TV so the remote controls should still work.

Are there any drawbacks with this approach? Would there be any loss of quality using multiple cables with an HDMI wall plate? Are some vendors better than others?

Thanks in advance..

Comments (2)