Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HDMI wall plates

Posted by calumin (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 17:38

I am a couple days away from installing kitchen cabinets and am now rethinking my idea to install a mounted TV on a wall, with the TV equipment (cable box, BluRay, etc) in a kitchen cabinet below.

Everything looked good until I started to thinking about ventilation. All the fan / ventilation solutions I've considered require at least minimal cutting into the exterior-facing part of the kitchen cabinets, which my wife is vetoing. Plus I can't find a good way to vent the hot air out that doesn't require a lot of working through wall studs and ducting.

The setup is this: mounting a TV on our kitchen wall. Power is in a recessed outlet just under the TV mount. The low voltage wires (HDMI, Cat 5e / Ethernet. IR) are behind the wall -- they had to cross through one wall stud, then hang down. The original idea was to bring them back into the side of a kitchen cabinet that extends as a peninsula. The cabinet has doors on both sides & doesn't have a natural place for a fan / vent.

The other side of the wall is my living room. Instead of using the kitchen cabinet, I'm thinking of attaching HDMI wall plates to the living room side wall, and connecting the devices there in open air (next to where my living room TV is placed). I also have an IR sensor under the TV so the remote controls should still work.

Are there any drawbacks with this approach? Would there be any loss of quality using multiple cables with an HDMI wall plate? Are some vendors better than others?

Thanks in advance..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HDMI wall plates

I think you're worried about nothing. I have some serious home theater amps in cabinets with glass fronts and backs. These amps are super heavy and create lots of heat. I've never had any issues with overheating. I have kept my blueray, receiver and other stereo equipment in the same type of cabinet for years and never had any overheating issues. I honestly think you're not going to have an issue.

Saftgeek-

o
RE: HDMI wall plates

Without practical experience with HDMI I can't say for sure, but theoretically the devices would work fine with an approved wall plate. Regarding the distance, you're always good for 15 feet, low capacitance cables work up to 45 feet or so, then there are amplified cables and devices to go farther. Plug it in and see, then troubleshoot from there.

You didn't ask this, but to solve the cooling issue you could vent straight down into the space under the cabinet. You could have an air intake in the toe kick on one side and output on the other side. Place a baffle underneath to divide the space in half. You probably have a heating vent under the kitchen sink in the toe kick that illustrates the point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here