Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I need to get my Home Ent system in order

Posted by klugfamily (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 07 at 16:06

I am looking to buy a 50" plasma or LCD and I want to make sure I have all the necessary wiring done, as well as have the necessary equipment to make everything work. I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR 145 Receiver. I will be using Cox Cables HDTV cable box. I have about 7 in ceiling audio speakers hooked up to a cheap speaker selector box, two outdoor speakers I want to hook up to the receiver and I want to add surrround sound speakers when I get the TV. I guess I have two issues:
1. What wiring needs to go from the wall mounted TV to cable box or reciever (will be in wall).
2. How do I put the mess of speakers I currently have, along with surround sound speaker into my current receiver.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I need to get my Home Ent system in order

1) You can either run regular coax from one to the other or if supported by your TV and cable box you can run either component video cables or an HDMI cable.

2) If your receiver supports surround sound processing then the speaker outs should be specified for which each is meant for (ie. front left, front right, rear left, rear right). Part of this will be determined by your plan to go Dolby 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. Your receiver will only support one of these (5.1 is most common).

If you want to learn A LOT more about this subject I suggest that you go to http://www.avsforum.com/. It is a great web-site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here