Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
execassistant

Best TV screen for sunroom

Debbie Laird
11 years ago

It Is time to buy a television for the sunroom. What do I need to know about a screen and reflection? We have windows on the west, north and south. The paint and floor are dark, so its not a bright room during the summer when the trees are full. The tv will sit on the east wall, so it will face the wast. Will just any tv screen be ok?

Comments (4)

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Well, obviously, it can be difficult to mount a flat screen television in a sunroom when it comes to glare and reflections. And then, it's also hard to know what to expect throughout the year.

I'd recommend an LCD display with LED back-lighting. That should give you the crispest and brightest picture to compete with the ambient lighting. Plasma displays, while having their own attributes, usually tend to fall short when it comes to glare and/or bright ambient lighting.

But before buying anything or installing a wall-mount, maybe temporarily hang a large glass framed picture where you are considering mounting the television. Look at it throughout the day from where you would normally be seated and you can see how much glare you may expect to get. Then, maybe try a couple other spots to find the least glare-free area.

If you need to run A/V cables and AC power to the television as well, then it'll be well worth your time to do a little experimenting first.

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for responding. I'll play with picture placement. My stepson suggested having the store turn off the TV to see if there is much reflection. I'm thinking that not all TV's have glass screens, do some have nonglare screens? Not that it matters, I don't have a budget to order or purchase a specific TV, so I'm shopping for what will work best.
    Thanks!

• Leonard E. Wyche
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We had a Florida room or sun-room added to our home several years ago. There has been several big screens TV's set up in this room and all of them fail to last. All of the TV's that were damaged because of an act of God (elements, weather); the manufacturer refunded the cost. I had learned that I need to look into an indoor/outdoor TV. This will not be wall-mounted because I believe the weight of it may not be supported by the structure, (I am not going to take the chance). What is your suggestion of TV, cost, and brand? The windows face south, west, and north; the back of the set will be to the setting sun. There are shades on all of the windows that keep the sun out.

• mtvhike
    3 years ago

If you're going to be using the TV during the day, you must have dark blackout shades on at least the west windows.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions