Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluezephyr_gw

Basic digital tv questions

bluezephyr
14 years ago

I'm buying my grandmother a tv but know nothing about the specs/capabilities of these new sets. I'd really appreciate any help with some basic issues. She uses a roof antenna for Over-The-Air broadcasts, and also watches a few dvds a week.

1. Is there a significant difference between 720p and 1080p for her usage?

2. Will the OTA broadcasts come in clearly? She gets a pretty good picture now with her little analog tv, is fairly close to the broadcast tower and has a good antenna.

Thanks very much for any help on this.

Comments (8)

• guido_gardener
    14 years ago

Digital TV should be as good or even better quality. At home, I have analog reception with lots of snow and double image. Digital reception is perfect.. The only thing that you need to check is if the same channels are broadcast as the analog ones, otherwise your grandmother might be missing a few shows.

• bluezephyr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Great news on the digital reception, that's what I was hoping for. I'll check on the channels too- I appreciate the suggestion.

• lovinghusband
    14 years ago

How noticable 720p is versus 1080p depends mostly on screen size and the viewers eyesight. Most things I've seen put the cut off in the 32" to 37" range. Larger screens benefit from 1080p resolution, and smaller do not. OTA digital reception depends on most of the same variables as analog, but you might want to check the link for frequencies being used near you for digital transmissions. Make sure her antenna has a good UHF section (13 and up), and possibly VHF high section if digital transmissions in your area are going to use the VHF high frequency range (7 to 12).

Here is a link that might be useful: AntennaWeb

• gsenthil
    14 years ago

1080p will benefit only if you sit VERY close to the TV: for a 50" you would have to sit less than 6' from the TV for any noticeable difference.

Save $ and electricity and go with a 720p plasma

• lovinghusband
    14 years ago

gsenthil,
    Not sure where you come by that information, but I don't think it's correct. Plasma technology is nowhere near as efficient electrically as LCD. It still has a slight advantage in the best models for black level over LCD, but the power usage, burn-in potential, and reflective screen outway that for most users. The higher resolution of 1080p is more noticable the larger the screen size. Sitting closer to a 20" screen with 1080p still won't make it worthwhile.

• cseyer
    14 years ago

Each TV regardless of general plasma or lcd should be reviewed for on power consumption and standby. Recent models dont show big differences between plasma and lcd consumption. In fact looking at my two tv's on energy star website the 42" plasma is 155W on vs. 145W for 42" lcd while the standby is" .3W plasma and .5W lcd. So the LCD wins for on power but loses for standby. Also the burn in potential for plasma is much reduced in current models to the point of making it a non issue, while the picture quality (brightness, contrast) can be a significant advantage for plasma depending on the model.

Here is a link that might be useful: EngeryStar ratings for TV's

• jefferd
    14 years ago

720P is a high enough resolution if you ask me, you could ofcourse just get a FullHD 1080i and then you have both resolutios covered :) OTA reception depends on the area you live. OTA HD channels often look even better than satellite. OTA only offers basic channels though, might want to consider getting digital cable. Also remember that DVD´s come in 720x480 and not in HD except for the Bluray discs, that would be an extra investment.

• tigerbangs
    14 years ago

There is NO 1080P over-the-air broadcasting: you have either 720p or 1080i broadcasting: the differences between the two are not really significant, and your grandmother is unlikely to see any difference at all. The choice of 720p or 1080i is made by the broadcaster, and isn't a user choice. Choose on the basis of needs and price. LCDs work better in brightly lit rooms, plasmas have more natural on-screen motion and a more film-like presentation.

When choosing a TV for your grandmother, pick the biggest quality TV set that you can afford that won't give her a headache, and find a set that eschews gimmick features, but provides the best combination of picture quality and ease of use. Many manufacturers charge heavily for features like picture-in-picture, and gamer oriented features that she won't ever use.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions