Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slingbox / PCTV to catch hometown sports?

Posted by cle_dan (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 23:05

I have been researching TV "place-shifting" devices online and was wondering whether anyone on here has experience with them. My goal is to buy one of these devices and install it at my parents' house in Cleveland and thus be able to view any games broadcast there on my PC in Virginia. I'm interested in hearing pros & cons of the different choices and anything I should look out for given my above plans.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slingbox / PCTV to catch hometown sports?

This will work. Not under the spirit and meaning of the agreements that you bound yourself too, but I know quite a few people who do this and it works pretty well. Some go further and put a dvr there so that they can time shift as well.

If its only one sport you are interested in, you are probably better off buying the internet package that most have now. I know mlb has one and the quality is pretty good - probably better than what you are going to stream over the slingbox. granted you aren't going to have all seasons, but it also depends on whether the home site you are streaming from has the package to get the games you want.

o
RE: Slingbox / PCTV to catch hometown sports?

We have slingbox and it's great. There are a couple issues - if someone is watching TV at home and it's NOT what you want to watch you will totally slum them if you change the channel!! Then again, you can always check up on them to see what they are watching,

The slingbox has to be ON to use it, so if someone turns it off you're hosed.

I love the DVR combo. I can watch anything I've recorded anytime, anyplace!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here