Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with our VCR?

Posted by janepa (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 22:38

We have a 10 yr. old RCA 4 head VHS VCR - Model # VR629HF. While I would like to get a DVD player/recorder, my husband likes the simplicity of this VCR, but it is now not working. He has checked everything he knows to check, such as the fuse,and power to the fuse, which are both okay. The message window does not light up,and it takes no direction from the remote. It acts like it is not getting power.

Thank you for any suggestions. Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with our VCR?

Probably it's just broken, short circuited or whatever. Don't try to have it repaired, that would cost more than buying a DVD recorder.

o
RE: What is wrong with our VCR?

Look closely at the power cord. Are there any areas that are bent, squashed or where it bulges? Look at where it connects to the plug and where it goes into the VCR any strange bends or bulges? I am assuming that your answer is no, so now have one person watch the display while the other jiggles both ends of the cord, pushing in and out and twisting. If you see any flicker on the VCR's display then you have a short in the cord. If that doesn't work, then just replace the unit. Even opening it wouldn't be worth it, much less trying to have it repaired. Find a VCR somewhere cheap on line (they are still some available) or at a garage sale and go back into your happy VHS world. My suggestion would to just by a VHS/DVD combo. They are plentiful and cheap. You can play/record VHS tapes and play DVD's. Go to Wally Mart or Target and you could have one today for less than it would cost to even think about a repair. If you're in the Los Angeles area e-mail me and you can come and pick up one of mine for free. I have at least eight VCR's sill, but I no longer use them. I used to love them, but a DVR is SO much easier and more fun. If you must have a DVD recorder then be prepared to pay more. DVR's are available through the Satellite/Cable/Phone companies primarily and you pay a monthly fee. I don't like that arrangement, but you get to upgrade for free and if it breaks you just exchange it for a new one.

- Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here