Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
multi room audio solution

Posted by mlbison (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 22:09

I am in the middle of a complete kitchen remodel. I need advise on installing a multi room audio system. The system will include 3 zones: Kitchen area(2 in-ceiling speakers) , adjacent living room(again two in-ceiling speakers) and outside patio(two speakers). I would like to control the outdoor patio with an on-wall volume control knob, the other 2 zones can be controlled by simple remote control.
This is for purely music/audio. This will not be tied into a home theatre system.

What is the most economical/easiest answer? Receiver with multi-zone capabilities? Do I need amplification?

How about hiding a subwoofer behind the sheetrock?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: multi room audio solution

It might not be the most economical, but it might be one of the easiest.

I had a traditional hard-wired system, with amp, impedence matching, etc. Speakers in all rooms of the house. Good and bad to that.

I changed over to a Sonos system a while ago. SOme wireless, some wired.

The thing I like about Sonos is the simplicity of integration with iTunes libraries, etc.

My son copied about 1400 of my CDs to our iTunes library, couple those songs with the hundreds, if not thousands of songs that my kids have in their own iTunes libraries...

The Sonos can access that music from anywhere in the house, even from outside.

You can either use a computer to control the music, or you can use a Sonos remote, or you can use an iPhone or iTouch.

I recently changed the house over from PCs to Macs, and with each Mac we got a "free" iTouch. So those iTouches are now remotes.

Sonos is a good system, but for me it was expensive. You can easily hit $2000-$3000 for the hardware depending on how many rooms you want to integrate.

You can listen to the same (properly synched) or to different music in each room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here