Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hooking up a dvd to tv/vcr combo set

Posted by bmbrown88 (bvbrown8@comcast.net) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 21:32

Hello everyone... I currently own a TV/VCR combo unit and I was wanting to add a DVD player but the TV only has 2 RCA cable plugs yellow(video) & white(audio) but no RED... does this matter or can I just hook the yellow and white and it will work fine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hooking up a dvd to tv/vcr combo set

That just means that the TV is not capable of stereo. You can hook up a DVD player to it and it will sound just as "good" as the way it does now. Okay you may get only one channel (right or left) technically, and you could combine the channels (go to Radio Shack) and ask for a cable to connect stereo RCA to mono RCA), but I doubt you would notice the difference if you are satisfied with the picture/sound quality you have now with the unit.

- Jim

o
RE: hooking up a dvd to tv/vcr combo set

That might be correct, but if you only connect one stereo channel, I suppose that you will miss out on some of the audio in stereo movies. If they play a voice only or mainly through the right speaker and you only have the left one connected, I suppose that you won't hear a lot!!

Or maybe check if you can switch your DVD player to mono in some menu, then it will probably mix both channels on one output and at least you'll hear everything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here