Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noob needs connection advice/help

Posted by robdam (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 19:54

I have Comcast Digital Cable and would like to purchase the Samsung HDTV LN-S4051D. I have TiVo Series 2 and a Comcast Digital Cable Box. How should I hook up the TV to the TiVo and Cable Box? Do I need a suuround sound system as well? This is going in my bedroom. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noob needs connection advice/help

1) Connect the coaxial cable from the wall into the Cable Box
2) Connect the Cable Box (output) to the Tivo (input) via RCA cable
3) Connect the Tivo to the TV input

That's it.
The TiVo series 2 is not HD capable (I don't think), therefore, you won't be able to record in HD. I recommend getting an HD DVR from Comcast - I'm guessing it's available on lease basis for around $10/month (it is with Cablevision). In that case, I'd use Monster Component cables.

Note: The Tivo recorder is MUCH more user friendly than the the HD DVR that I have from cablevision.

o

To modify previous advice slightly:

1) Connect the coaxial cable from the wall into the Cable Box
2) Connect the Cable Box (output) to the Tivo (input) via S-Video cable (little better picture)
3) Connect the Tivo to the TV input also using S-Video if available.

But ditch the Tivo and upgrade to the Comcast dual tuner DVR. It records HDTV as well. I just upgraded from a similar setup as you to it, its $10. Tivo is more user friendly but its a decent trade off being able to record 2 shows at once and being able to record in high definition and dolby 5.1.

o

Agree with ttugrad95.

o

"""I'd use Monster Component cables"""

I'd really like to know why you would use something so severely over rated and over priced....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here