Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
del_mar_ca

Build or buy entertainment center

del_mar_ca
17 years ago

Ok....I am planning to buy an Samsung DLP and wondering whether to build a dedicated entertainment center unit or to buy entertainment center furniture. This will go into a media niche that that 89W x 24D x 107H (I don't know how to embed a picture here...or I would)

The reason why I ask is that display technology change is so persistent and rapid...that I don't want to get left holding a white elephant that cannot accomodate my future display. Where I would have to remove the built unit because of a new display.

What is everyone's thought on this?

Comments (7)

• kcrump
    17 years ago

As a cabinetmaker, my thought is to build but make sure you build to accomidate future purchases / upgrades.....

• cliff_and_joann
    17 years ago

If you can build it build it. We built ours in 2 pieces (we also have a 50" Samsung. If we change it down the road, we just have to adjust the top, and we have it already worked out on how to do it. When we purchased our TV in April 05, there wasn't too many enterainment units for big screens, however that has since changed.

You have a nice big space for it, our room was cut in half due to the door in the middle of the room, so I had to design a compact unit. You'll have more designer choices.
    We are going to also add a small wall hanging dvd cabinet to match, to the left of the unit. Woodworking is one of our hobbies, we are not pro's.

{{gwi:1538427}}
    Joann

• daninny
    17 years ago

IMHO, I think it's better to go with component pieces that offer flexibility. I know of many people who bought/built entertainment centers and then were stuck when they wanted to replace the TV or other components. At least with pieces, it wouldn't be too hard to move things around.
    A company I used was Salamander.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salamander Designs

• del_mar_ca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My decision on the entertainment center (remember...it is within a media niche alcove and not freestanding).

I decided to go with furniture versus a custom built cabinet. Reason is that I was able to find a great looking piece that only has 3" clearance on each side....has excellent legs which elevates the credenza above my Zanella maple wood floors (if I did a custom built, it would have not only hid my floors, but probably damaged it).

What else I like about the furniture piece is that I was able to get away with a different look and feel as I already have built-in bookcases...which I would have had to replicate in terms of style to make the room look right.

Biggest thing for me is that I am concerned that as TVs change...furniture need change. And I feel that I have much more flexibility by going with my furniture.

If someone shares with me how to copy a picture here into the message text...I will share an image of what I did for my entertainment center.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

• perky_2
    17 years ago

I would like to see your pics
    Upload your picture into photobucket.com
    under the pic will be three captions
    choose tag (click on the white next to tag so that it is highlighted then right click and copy
    Paste in your message post

• dgmarie
    17 years ago

My DH is not a fan of a media niche. It seems they are often weird sizes, weird locations, or improperly vented. Can you put a plant in it and move the tv elsewhere?

• dkaunitz
    15 years ago

There are some really nice all wood options that I found...

Here is a link that might be useful: TV stands

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions