Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrshenderson123

Home Entertainment Design Help! (pic)

mrshenderson
12 years ago

We bought a 13 year old house with a built in that my husband loves. Sadly, it was built around the old "big" TV's and we've had enough of not having HD and missing what's going on on the right and left sides of the screen. We've been going around in circles trying to figure out what we can do to make it work. Including getting an estimate to retro-fit the existing built in. The quotes for retro-fit were more than we want to spend ($12000?!, and that's AFTER talking them down) and the TV would still be on the small size for the room (55"). (And, that doesn't even include buying the TV!) I'm posting a photo of the room. I found a 46" LCD TV that we thought we might be able to live with but I think it's just too small. And clearly, we'd have to mount it to something we build in where the old TV was. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight or experience with this and maybe even before and after pics. FYI, we live in South Florida and ceilings here on single level homes are quite high (I think it's 20 feet). Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• yosemitebill
    12 years ago

My first suggestion would be to think about mounting the television on the wall to the left of the current placement.

My second suggestion would be to get some other estimates about removing the facade walls that flank the current television - sounds like somebody here is really attempting to make a little money here...

Once that is done you could sheet rock an area across the corner diagonally and wall mount there, as well as running the AC and low voltage wiring behind it.

By the way, the size of the television does not need to "fit the size of the room" but should just simply be of an appropriate size for the viewing distance.

• azlighting
    12 years ago

Anything you put in there is going to be swamped by the size of the built in, unless its a VERY large screen.

I would suggest demoing the built-in. And yes, the size of the TV and resolution specs.(720 vs. 1080) are all based on the viewing distance.

I see way to many people buy 1080 because the BB sales associate told them it was the best, but their viewing distance only allows them 720.

• mrshenderson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

YoBill:

"My first suggestion would be to think about mounting the television on the wall to the left of the current placement."

Can't really do that because then what would the center be for? It would look odd, I think.

azl:
    demoing the built in, and building something new will be costly, add the fact that my husband likes the built in and I think he'd have a hard time demoing it.

At this point, we have moved the couch a bit closer and the TV feels good. So, we are planning to retrofit the existing panel and mount the TV in the center. Seems to be the most economical option, for now. We've agreed to live with it for a couple of years and then see what our options are. There is another built-in in the house that present the same problem. The previous owners were short sighted in their design approach to the built-ins... Property values are still going down so hubby doesn't want to keep putting money into the house. My husband says it's about choices :-)

Thanks for the help!

• miclelee12
    11 years ago

My first idea will be to think of increasing those great TV on the walls left in the existing position. Mind you, the length of those great TV does not need for you to "fit the length of the room" yet ought to just simply possibly be of correct dimensions to the seeing length. We've shifted the couch somewhat more detailed plus the TV SET senses beneficial. Therefore, many of us are preparing to retrofit the current cell as well as support it in the middle. Is most often essentially the most inexpensive selection in the meantime?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I'd lose the sofa! Buy risers, and put 3-4 home entertainment recliners with on each. Hang a drape from the ceiling behind the seating, and you have an entertainment room!

We are purchasing these for our less spacious pub, but this way you can keep everything your DH wants, and trust me, when he sees these recliners, he'll get on the page fast!!

Please invite me to the party!

We are stuck with the below space, and it will be an entertainment/room/pub. We did order the chairs referenced in the link, and we found a local distributor, sat in them and they are dreamy comfy.

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Theater Seating

• jane_davis123
    10 years ago

According to this pic. I think you should use empty space right in front of this sofa set..!

• jane_davis123
    10 years ago

According to this pic. I think you should use empty space right in front of this sofa set..!

Sponsored
More Discussions