Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whole house sounds system newbie.

Posted by ncchuck (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 14:25

My wife and I have a new build and we will be wiring the house for sound. I would like to do it myself but have no idea how to go about it. I also want to use the iPad as the user interface with the system. I want as basic and simple a system as possible. I don't need to shake the walls or rattle the windows with gigantic speakers. I need suggestions as to what products I need to investigate. With the iPad I would like to control source and overall volume. It is not necessary to be able to listen to different sources from room to room. Since I am wiring the house should I also wire it so the computer/iPad controls overall video/TV and other house features such as exterior/interior lights? Would that require someone with a great deal of knowledge to accomplish or can anyone do it? Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whole house sounds system newbie.

While the iPad has apps available to talk to the equipment that controls what you desire, I think first you need to look at the cost of that equipment, and that fact that most if not all is only sold through installing dealers. It's an understatement to say that it can get very expensive.

Running lighting control circuits should have been addressed prior to installing the existing electrical.

Distributing the overall video/TV takes a lot of planning, design, equipment, interfaces, and then pulling a lot of different wire and cable to meet those needs.

I really don't mean to sound negative about what you want to do, but it required planning before the build and a substantial budget. You can still run a more traditional system (if you haven't sheet rocked already) by running in-wall stereo speaker wiring, including in-wall volume level controls, to each room and then back to where your entertainment equipment will be - commonly referred to as "home runs".

From there, you could find consumer price range equipment to provide you with the ability to provide whole house audio.

Once again I don't mean to sound negative, and I don't know your budget, but most of these whole house control systems get into many tens of thousands of dollars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here