Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about receivers...

Posted by mdmomof3 (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 14:23

Sorry, but I am a bit tech unsavy and I am not sure if I am getting fleeced by the company doing the install. (Yes I have trust issues).
We are building and have gotten 3 quotes for whole house wiring and a theater room. They ranged from 18k to 30k and I cant tell the difference. We are getting whole house audio, with 6 zones (just the controls with volume), 7.1 theater set up, and a exercise room wired separate with an ipod dock.
So far, the recs are for a Denon AVR-3808CI, AVR 1901 or a Yamaha RXV663 receiver. There are all considerably different in price but no one will tell me what is the biggest bang for the buck. My husband is not tech savy either, so we just need and on/off switch and the ability to play movies, CDs and listen to the radio. The installer say that we can purcharse our own compenents but seem to push towards the more expensive, not sure we need all of the options since we wont be using them anytime soon.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about receivers...

Go with the Yamaha - they probably get more commission on the higher end components. Stay away from Harman Kardon - they seem to have reliability issues.

o

thanx for the help. yamaha it is.

o

I'm a little late to this party, but some receivers are better at music, some better at theater.

For music and home theater, I think the Denon is a better all around product. It does both very well.

o

I think Denon receivers tend to have a brighter sound, while Yamahas are more mellow and subtle, but you can't go wrong with either, both are great brands.

o

Of the models listed, I would easily recommend the Denon. The Yamaha model listed is a slightly older model at about half the cost of the Denon model, not really an apples to apples comparison. Try reading some reviews at the link below to find out what features you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNET reviews

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here